Special Education Mediation Training
Resolving disputes between parents of children with disabilities and schools can be a sensitive and complicated matter. And the way disputes are handled can have an impact on the long-term relationship between school personnel and parents. Special Education Mediation Training will give you the tools needed to assist families and schools in resolving conflict which can ultimately lead to improved student outcomes.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that states make mediation available to parties to resolve any type of special education dispute. The IDEA also requires that special education mediators have knowledge regarding laws and regulations related to the provision of special education and related services along with training in effective mediation skills and techniques needed to resolve disputes. This 40-hr course is designed as a national training to prepare mediators who will be ready to assist parents and schools in resolving disputes involving students with disabilities. Special Education Mediation Training will provide the initial training needed for mediators to serve on state rosters as IDEA dispute resolution professionals. This highly interactive training takes place on Zoom and includes lecture, discussion groups, case studies, role-play, and demonstrations. There are no educational or vocational requirements necessary for taking this course.
This program includes a 40-hour certificate in Special Education Mediation Training.
Special Education Mediation Training takes place through online-video with Zoom. This four-day course meets Friday and Saturday on consecutive weeks from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, Central Standard Time. Up until the class is full, there is a $100.00 early registration discount for registrations received at least 30 days before start of course. This discount is automatic when registering online. Classes are limited to 16 participants.
2024 Course Dates Open for Registration
Online - Instructor led video format using Zoom
- 2024 Summer Course, Friday - Saturday, May 17-18 and 24-25, 2024
- 2024 Fall Course, Friday - Saturday, September 13-14 and 20-21, 2024
- Understanding the Dynamics of Conflict
- Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Mediation under the IDEA Overview
- Mediation Theory and the Mediator's Role
- Communication Theory and Special Education Conflict
- Special Education Legal Issues Overview
- Mediator Skills and Interventions
- Understanding the Mediation Process
- Understanding the parties in conflict
- Skills for deescalating high conflict
- The Power of Listening
- Separating Interests from Positions
- Dealing with Impasse
- Writing the Mediation Agreement
- Ethics and Professional Conduct for Mediators
- Professional Development
Who Should Attend?
- Professionals interested in mediating special education disputes
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Licensed Professional Counselors
$1275.00 - Regular Tuition
$1175.00 - With early Registration for registrations received four weeks or more before course start date.